Alka-Seltzer gives you fast relief from headaches. It is especially effective when taken before bed and again in the morning
Benefits of Alka Seltzer
Alka Seltzer also offers a pain relief remedy for:
- Period Pain
- Tension Headaches
- Sinus Headaches
- Rheumatic and muscular aches and pains
- Symptoms of cold and flu, such as feverishness
How to take Alka Seltzer
Alka-Seltzer tablets must always be dissolved in a glass of water before use
Adults and children aged 16 years and over:
- Take two tablets dissolved in water.
- Take a further two tablets every 4 hours if necessary.
- Do not take more than 8 tablets in 24 hours.
- Do not exceed the stated dose
- Do not give to children under 16 years of age except on the advice of a doctor
- If symptoms persist for more than 3 days, or if you experience any other symptoms not related to the original condition, discontinue treatment immediately and consult your doctor
- Prolonged use except under medical supervision may be harmful
- If you take more than the recommended dose, please contact your doctor or nearest hospital.
Active Ingredients of Alka Seltzer
- Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) 324mg.
- Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate 1625mg.
- Citric Acid Anhydrous 965mg.
- Other ingredients are povidone, dimethicone, calcium silicate, docusate sodium, sodium benzoate (E211), sodium saccharin, natural and artificial lemon flavour, natural and artificial lime flavour.
- Sodium Content 445mg per tablet – to be taken into consideration by patients on a controlled sodium diet.
- Alka-Seltzer dissolved in water becomes Sodium Acetylsalicylate, Sodium Citrate and Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate.
Do not take Alka-Seltzer if:
- You are allergic to aspirin, or any other pain-relieving or anti-inflammatory medicines. The allergic reaction may be displayed as asthma, a skin rash or blocked sinuses when you have taken any of these medicines. It may also be displayed as a worsening of these symptoms if you have them before taking these products
- You are allergic to any of the other ingredients in this product
- You are taking any other aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs e.g. ibuprofen
- You have or have ever had, any other gastrointestinal disease
- You have a bleeding disorder such as haemophilia
- You are on a high dose of methotrexate, 15mg per week. If you are not sure check with your doctor. Methotrexate is used for psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s disease and some types of cancer
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding unless advised by your doctor.
Before taking Alka Seltzer, speak to your doctor if:
- You suffer from tightness in the chest or asthma.
- You have kidney or liver problems or are aware you have low uric acid excretion, which is commonly associated with gout.
- You have a history of gastrointestinal disorders (regular stomach upsets).
- You are taking medication to prevent blood clotting (e.g. Warafin, Heparin, Ticlopidine), to lower blood sugar if you are a diabetic (e.g. insulin, sulphonylureas), to treat gout or reduce water retention.
- You are taking medication because of heart problems or to lower blood pressure (e.g. ACE inhibitors, cardiac glycosides, digoxin, digitoxin).
- You are taking corticosteroids, any pain-relieving or anti-inflammatory medicines.
- You are taking the medicines methotrexate, sodium valproate or phenytoin.
Important Information about Alka Seltzer
- Avoid taking alcohol at the same time as taking this product.
- Before an operation, the physician must be told that you are taking aspirin.
After taking your tablets
As with other medicines, Alka-Seltzer may cause side effects. These are rare but may include black tarry stools, nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting, dizziness or ringing in your ears. If you injure or cut yourself there may be an increased risk of bleeding. On rare occasions, allergic symptoms have also occurred such as difficulty in breathing, large or itchy wheals on the skin, attacks of sneezing and itching eyes. Very rarely, changes in normal liver activity have been seen in blood tests. If you experience these or any other unusual effects, stop taking Alka-Seltzer and tell your doctor immediately.
How to store Alka Seltzer
- Do not store above 25C. Store in the original package.
- Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
- Do not remove the tablets from the foil pouch until immediately before use.
- If you use only one tablet from the foil pouch dispose of the remaining one.
- If the foil pouch containing the tablets is damaged or the tablets are powdery or discoloured do not use it.
- Do not use this product after the date printed on the carton and foil pouch.